Line managers, team leaders, senior managers
In any organisation we are faced with occasions where difficult decisions have to be made, or unpleasant situations arise–and managers and leaders are expected to have those difficult conversations to ensure that the wellbeing of their team and the organisation’s ongoing success is protected.
It can be daunting, and unpleasant, to have these conversations and many of us dread them. This course is designed to give you the tools to manage the emotions of the situation, approach the topic in a calm and professional way, and a structure to ensure that the important points are made and understood without escalating the situation into more conflict.
It’s vitally important that any leader or manager has the tools to face difficult conversations, guiding their team through any challenging situations with a calm and clear plan.
However experienced we are, when we are faced with challenging situations we can struggle to effectively communicate what we need, or respond to the needs of our team–and this workshop will give you the tools to have those conversations in a way which resolves the problem with as little distress and difficulty as possible.
Having attended the programme learners will be able to:
- Clarify what you believe a difficult conversation is for you
- Identify what makes a conversation difficult to have
- Challenging situations requiring a difficult conversation at work
- Identify ways to reduce the risks of having or not having a difficult conversation
- Be clear on the essential skills and the importance of emotional intelligence for handling difficult conversations
- Apply a powerful technique for handling difficult conversations going forward
This is a one day workshop which covers a range of different understandings and methodologies for facing difficult conversations.
With a blend of group work, personal reflection and discussion of personal experiences the learning is embedded with shared experiences and workshop activities, and the day ends with planning how to apply these new skills beyond the completion of the workshop.