Managing over 60,000 homes and 120,000 residents, our client is one of the UK’s largest affordable housing providers. Employing 3,000 staff, its size reflects a series of mergers and acquisitions. In recent years, the organisation has responded to their impact by working to unify around a single goal and set of values, with a common set of organisational behaviours.
The Project Context
As well as addressing significant recent challenges to the sector, and particularly welfare reforms, that have heavily impacted funding, revenues and financial security, our client has undergone significant internal change, transitioning from regional businesses to national functional divisions and needing to tackle inevitable consequential cultural and communication issues.
While an existing coaching skills programme was providing practical experience of coaching, feedback and challenging performance gaps, managers’ broader role remained fundamental in continuing to develop the organisation. The primary focus was on people management skills, including: performance management, coaching skills, team effectiveness, change management and awareness of impact on others. In helping to develop ‘managers of the future’ to tackle the sector’s challenges, the objectives and key measures of success were:
- Increased levels of customer service and enhanced staff engagement
- Improved performance management conversations, including universal coaching provision
- For new managers, greater confidence in managing people skilfully
- Developing in-house capability to reduce reliance on HR and external support
- Greater transparency and authenticity between leaders and staff
- Greater interaction and knowledge-sharing between regions, functions and levels.
ASK has now worked with our client for a number of years, designing and evolving an integrated suite of interventions that includes:
- Leadership coaching, using 360 degree feedback, MBTI® and FIRO-B®
- A 4-day Managers Programme, with line manager discussions before and after each workshop element and a 1-day follow-up event after 12 months
- Half-day Managing Performance briefings
- A 1-day Recruitment and Selection programme
- Managing Change Conferences
- 1-day Coaching Skills workshops
Our work with the organisation, all of which is linked to its leadership and management standards, continues to be informed by this on-going relationship.
“A perfect balance between support and encouragement and constructive criticism.”
“Although very intense, the course has provided invaluable information.”
“Given me the tools to help me prove a better way.”
“Brilliant mix of small and larger group and individual working.”
“Full of ideas and information to take back to the work place.”